Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lazy Sunday

After a very productive workout on Saturday, and multiple workouts during the week, I made today a lazy Sunday. It was a perfect one - gloomy and rainy.

I stayed in bed and read. I've gotten addicted to a new blog. Recommended by the lovely Kristen V, I started reading The Daily Garnish by Emily Malone. Perused through a few posts and fell in love. I've spent the weekend reading her blog - starting at entry number one! I'm only up to summer of 2010 right now. This girl blogs a lot! Love it! She's a vegetarian/vegan who is a serious runner and a culinary school grad. I marvel at all the different types of food she eats. Some of it I know I can't eat (I've tried it and not liked it), but I'm hoping to be a little bit more adventurous when it comes to food.

Today at the grocery store I purchased a spaghetti squash. I've never had one before, but Emily's recipe looked so yummy. She has a cream sauce on hers, but I'm going to use a tomato and meat sauce. She had blogged about using a tomato sauce.

Since I didn't want to take on the world on this lazy Sunday, I had the little bit of leftovers that I had from a couple of days ago. I got brave and made couscous! My mix up was plain couscous, sauted onion and fresh garlic, leftover grilled chicken, peas and corn mixed with a bit of olive oil, and a dash of onion powder and garlic salt. It was so yummy!


This is what my mix up looked like the night I made it. It was just as good as a reheated leftover! Since I didn't have much left, I decided to add a salad. I bought a bunch of fresh veggies at the grocery store this afternoon, so I wanted to try my planned concoction. Baby spinach, butter lettuce, cauliflower, carrots, cucumber, and a few bacon bits. Instead of dressing I opted for some diced up provel cheese worms. They're not actually worms, obviously, but that's the shape they're in. I remember these worms being amazing on a salad that they used to serve at our Caleco's restaurant before they went out of business.

The salad was absolutely delicious! I figure I can dice the cheese into smaller pieces and get away with using less. But, everything was fabulous the way it was. Who can argue with extra cheese? :)



Pretty in addition to being delicious!

Well, I've packed my lunch for tomorrow (more salad and leftover mac and cheese.) Yes, I am going to consume Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. I make my own version that I consider to be 'very light prep.' I never measure, I just splash in some skim milk and put in maybe 1 or 1.5 teaspoons of Smart Balance butter. So, it's less horrible than standard preparation. :)

I get to take my 4th, 5th, and 6th grade kiddos on a field trip tomorrow. We're headed to the Blanche M. Touhill Performing Arts Center on the UMSL campus to see a special production of 'Apollo: To the Moon.' I've read awesome reviews of the show and cannot wait to see it. Plus, the bonus is that I only have to teach for 30 minutes tomorrow! Only 1 first grade class. The rest will be field tripped out. Yay!

Happy week to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment