Sunday, September 25, 2011

Adventures in Squash

Earlier this week I ventured out of my culinary comfort zone (both in taste and cooking) and decided to try spaghetti squash. I've read some blogs where people talked about it, and I personally know people who like it. So, I decided to give it a try. I used a cooking method outlined by Emily Malone of the Daily Garnish. It looked yummy with garlic and onion, so I figured why not?

I am a huge carb fiend, so it would be good if I could find something lower calorie to mimic noodles. I knew it wouldn't taste quite the same, but it may have a similar texture.

Here goes!

This is a spaghetti squash. I'd never even paid attention to the squash/gourd section of the grocery store before, so I'd never gotten a good look at one of these babies. It was deceptively heavy!


It also was very difficult to cut. I had to enlist my mother's help. She tamed the beast after several attempts. Friend, blogger and P.E. assistant at my school, Kristen V, gave me a tip for easier cutting: cut in half widthwise first, then cut each half lengthwise. You end up with four pieces, but that's fine. I'll be doing this in the future! :)


Next, put the halves or quarters in a 9 by 13 glass dish (or what ever size will hold them), paint with olive oil, then top with minced garlic and onion. Emily at the Daily Garnish used shallots, but our store didn't have any that looked nice. I just used white onion and it was fine.


Put in a 375 degree oven and bake/roast for a little over an hour, or until you can pull the strings away.


When they're finished, they can do this (on right):


And behold! A bowl full of delicious 'spaghetti' noodles! They actually tasted pretty good by themselves. I thought they had the consistency/texture of hash browns. Not overcooked ones, the ones that still have a bit of crunch to it. Yum!


I topped mine with meat sauce that my mom had made and frozen. I also added a few meatballs. It was a delicious meal! I may not need real spaghetti noodles until after squash season!


I packed some leftovers as my lunch for the next day and was delighted to find that it reheated very well. Definitely something I'd make again. If you haven't made spaghetti squash before, now is the time! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment